Exercise Focus of the Week: Kettle Bell Swings
Purpose: Hip hinge explosiveness, eccentric (decelerating) hip flexion
Transfer: SUP paddling involves repeated double hip flexion and extension. However the load is only on the pulling part of the stroke. KB swings involve decelerating hip flexion opposed to creating it so it is working the opposite muscles to balance out both sides. Secondly, the rapid hip extension will make the stroke follow through and return more explosive.
- Use hip hinge movement to move the weight;
- Do not squat, think hips back and forward; squeeze your glutes
- Back remains neutral spine do not flex your spine
- Arm stay straight through movement
- If the KB goes above eye level pick a larger weight